Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Protecting Your Writing Time

   I recently got into a debate with my best friend. She felt as if we had been spending less time talking and hanging out than we usually do. She lives across the country so it's usually time spent sitting on the computer, talking on webcam or instant messenger.
   I disagreed with her and insisted we spent plenty of time together. She complained that I'm always "busy". And that's when it hit me.
   I've heard many writers say it: "Protect your writing time!" and I always shrugged it off. "I write plenty," I thought to myself, puffing my chest up proudly. "I don't need to defend my writing time more than I do!"
   The truth is, I used to let anyone invade my writing time until I realized how much more productive I was when I pushed them away while I wrote and how precious that time really is. "This is what they meant!" I realized. I must have at least doubled what I normally got done. I was shocked by the difference of my accomplishments. So I made a New Year resolution to protect my writing time more fiercely and I've been keeping that resolution going.
   My friend noticed this and while I explained when the year began that I would devote more time to my writing, she isn't happy about the cut back in my time.
   But it made me realize how much time writing takes up. If you're serious about it, then you'll find the time no matter what and you'll protect that time. I know I will even if my friend is upset for a while. Writing is what I do and I'll do it until the end.
   Family, housework, friends, work... All of these things can eat up your time and the next thing you know-- You're out of time to write. On my busy days I juggle things. I'll do some dishes, pick up my room, clean up the living room, and in between those things I'll give myself ten minute writing sessions as a reward. The words you write in those ten minutes add up. They really do.
   Other days I end up so busy that the only time I have to write is right before bed and by then I'm too exhausted to do much else other than sit in my desk chair, staring at that blinking cursor that's waiting to move with each letter I type, and doze off. Those are the days I turn in and decide to start anew the next day.
   But when you get that writing time, or start to make a schedule with your writing, you have to defend that time like your life depends on it-- because in a way, if you're serious about becoming a writer, it does. Learn to manage your time and compromise. I know I'm learning it now and it's paying off already.
   Family and friends might get jealous over the time you're giving to your writing but if you really care about the story you have to tell then you'll muddle through and keep on track.
   Do you have any friends or family that are or have been jealous or feel neglected because of the time you give to your writing? Do you have to protect your writing time more fiercely or make more time? What kind of schedule do you use if you use one?
   Please share your own experiences and advice! : )

2 comments:

  1. Hi Siddy, I made a huge decision to 'protect my writing time', left my old life behind moved cities and stopped working full time. I now have two days a week that I dedicate to my writing. People who don't write never understand or take seriously the time we spend in front of that blinking cursor! I'm putting your link on my blog, I enjoyed reading you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and I really appreciate you putting my link on your blog.
    I'm impressed with your decision and dedication to your writing time. Moving cities and everything, wow! And it takes courage to stop working full time.
    I'm lucky that I have a family that (mostly) understands so all I have to do is move to my room (which doubles as my writing space) and I'm left alone to write.

    ReplyDelete