Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Preparations for Editing

Well, NaNoWriMo has been over for 21 days, December's almost gone and I finally have my manuscript all printed out and ready my red pen for editing. Parts must be rewritten while other parts just need a good going over. Unfortunately a writing mishap happened and it didn't print in double spacing like it was supposed to... I think it was because it was opened in an internet browser and not in MS Word... But that's all right. I plan to work with it as it is since I feel I've killed enough trees today...


   And there it is. The death of a dozen trees and my novel-in-progress in it's full, rough, unpolished, and unedited glory, still untouched by the Great Red Pen. I'll probably casually go over it, switching between working on that, reading library books, and writing other works-in-progress until after New Year's and then the real work begins. After I edit this one, add in scenes, and remove other scenes, check characters to make sure they're in character, and go over my grammar again and again (not exactly in that order but you get the idea), I'll redo it on the computer and reprint everything out-- killing more trees; I feel horrible for it-- to go over the second draft.
   Why print it out? Personally, I like editing on paper. It's different from working on the computer and the bright, glaring screen. No, not all of my editing is done with paper but I, personally, find editing easier if I print out my novel-in-progress and go over it that way.
   So like so many other Wrimos on their writing adventures, I'm preparing for the long, perilous journey of editing. But for now, I'm off to check the skies once more for the 2010 lunar eclipse, be disappointed when I find the sky is thick with clouds as it always is in winter, and then fall asleep on the couch-- my lovely bed away from bed.

   Hope everyone is having a great holiday season and enjoying the winter solstice,

   - Siddy

No comments:

Post a Comment