Friday, January 7, 2011

Keeping A Journal

   One of the most common piece of advice I get from other writers is to keep a journal. "Record everything" they always say. By keeping a journal and recording everything you are learning how to write down emotions, write effective dialog, and describe things which are all needed skills for a successful.
   And keeping a journal is no problem, right? Well, if you're anything like me then it is. I like to keep journals traditional and keep them in book form. I hate digital journals. It just doesn't feel as personal to me. When I see a journal, I see it in a personally chosen book and hand-written. But if you're a busy person then how do you find the time to write a detailed recollection of your day that isn't digital and doesn't keep you up to ungodly hours in the morning?
   You don't or barely do. I would be up until the endless hours of the morning, struggling to write out everything I felt I had to write and half the time my entries were flat, lifeless, and rushed. When I reread them I would give up trying to keep a journal.
   After many tries and failed attempts some advice that finally solved this problem for me came in the form of a simple Tweet on Twitter and it's huge writing community. And now I want to share it with everyone.

   Don't try writing your entire day down in a journal. Pick an incident from that day and write about that but write it in details as if you are writing a story-- include dialog too. Use these daily journal entries as a way to fine-tune your writing.

   So I tried it. I picked one incident that day and wrote it down like a story. And it worked! Suddenly, I'm able to keep a journal when before it had seemed like an impossible task. More and more entries are being filled in and my journal is growing with each new day while my writing skills improve.
   This trick worked perfectly for me and I hope by sharing it that it helps some others out there, writers or not. Even if you're just a busy person trying to keep a journal, I hope this bit of advice I received can help you out in turn.

   Happy Writing, Writers!

- Siddy

No comments:

Post a Comment